When shopping around for a good window or door, most of us are going to want to purchase something with a good warranty. Usually a warranty that would provide protection in the event of malfunction or every day wear and tear, as well as the labor for servicing those things.
Questions to ask to ensure you are getting the warranty that best suits your needs in the future:
- Is the warranty limited or full?
- If limited, how long is the warranty valid?
- What things aren’t covered within the warranty?
- Does the warranty cover labor? If not, will the company installing the window/door provide a labor warranty?
- Is the warranty transferable? Is this automatic or does a fee apply?
When reviewing any warranty we always need to pay attention to the fine print. Make sure you know exactly what “lifetime” mean and exactly what it is.
Things to consider when shopping around for the perfect company to install your new windows & doors:
- Is there a labor warranty that you provide with your products?
- How long is that labor warranty.
- If your window/door warranty is transferred is the labor warranty transferred as well? Is there a service fee for the new home owner?
- What does the labor warranty cover? What doesn’t the labor warranty cover?
- If a labor warranty wont cover some things, is this something your home owners insurance will cover?
Keep an eye out, most window companies will relate the warranty to either the product or the installation but a lot of times not both.
Most importantly you will want to make a decision with a company that has a good reputation. Verify! Verify! Verify!
There are many ways today to check on the reputation of a company. Look closely at online forums, blogs, reviews, and online referral networks. Also, companies should be able to provide you with references regarding specific looks, styles etc., that you may be interested in from customers they have done work for personally.
If you don’t firmly believe that a company will be around in 25 years, you may want to re-consider purchasing from them.
Skyline Windows of Richmond
Serving Central Virginia Since 1987